12.19.2012

Late December back in '63. . . .


Photograph by Bethany Nelson Photography
One of the most enjoyable things I love about the Holidays are the social gatherings of co-workers, friends, family and even strangers.  This year, my employer, "the firm" hosted a Christmas party themed Martini Madness, late December back in '63.  Okay, yes, I had a hand in it because yes I love all things vintage.
First, I had to research my inspiration for what look I wanted to go with.  Early 60's is much different a look than late 60's.  Early 60's still has the '50's feel.  You had wiggle dresses, which were like a sheath but had more of a pleat at the waist line and then fitted along the hips.  You also had the fitted bodice with the full skirt.  Very feminine and flattering on most women.  The late 60's went more into the mod movement and dresses become shorter, with the unflattering trapeze shape.  Unless you were tall with great legs, you looked like a dunce in the corner in a paper bag.  Yes, that is harsh however, always dress in what is flattering on your body type and not necessarily what is the latest trend. 

Next, the hunt!  I researched every boutique store, website, department store website, ebay, and etsy store.  There are great dresses out there old and new that completely fit the early '60's look.  A lot of this is due to the popular Mad Men series as well.  I found some great dresses at what most would call great prices, ie. $39.99 plus shipping and handling.  However, I have a problem with mail order.  I can't try it on until after I order and purchase it.  If it didn't work, what would I do?  In this day of economical woes, $50 on a dress I may or may not wear again just made me cringe. 

On a whim, I ran into the Goodwill on my home.  I quickly scanned through every dress and grabbed at least five to try on.  At my local Goodwill, the "better quality" dresses are on average $10.83.  I don't know where they get there "83 cents" from.  Nothing fit!  It was either too big or too tight or too short or just looked hideous.  I quickly walked over to the rolling racks which featured "just in" clothing.  Quickly shoving hanger after hanger over to the next potential.  I glanced down and saw a small accordian pleated black chiffon fabric.  My eyes followed the fabric up the dress and I pushed aside all others and there was THE DRESS. . . . . . .

This originally had long chiffon sleeves that were also pleated and sheert but I seam ripped them off before I took the photograph.  Ugly right?!


Here you can see the front of the peplum waist has a very 80's bow.  That is because this dress is from the 80's! 
It's called 80's does 60's. 


My edits to the dress conisisted of hemming it to my knee length as it was currently almost to my ankles.  I also decided to take off the peplum waistline.  Even though it is in style now and in the 60's I made the decision based on my figure and since I am so short waisted it would be flattering without it.  I then used a black patent skinny belt and topped it off with a beehive hairdo, some black satin pumps, and vintage black gloves.  And the rest, as we know, is history. . .



What a night!  So fun!!

Dress: Vintage, Goodwill, $5.83
Gloves:  Vintage
Hair:  by Nicole Tinkman
Shoes:  Mine
Black Skinney Belt:  Thrifted, $1.00
Brooch:  vintage
Men's tie:  Calvin Klein Skinny Tie, Marshalls
Pants:  Kenneth Cole, Marshalls
Fedora:  No lable, Ross
Snapshots:  Dress before and after by me
Professional Photography:  Bethany Nelson Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment